Saturday, February 19, 2005

Her Father Died

Someone I know just lost her father. A freak accident took him away from a family who are just beginning to celebrate marriages and grandbabies and all the stuff that makes life joyous when there are more years behind you than ahead.

God, I hope my friend has memories to hold to, times of shared laughter between just the two of them, moments when he looked at her and she knew, just knew, without a word spoken that he was always going to be there for her. Because now he can't be, and that look though in her mind and not her reality, will be so very precious.

And I pray that those of us looking in will know when hugs are needed, words are right, and silence is the best gift to be given.

I don't get it. I never will. But each time, I want to get a little bit closer to making what comes next as right as it can be.

No comments: