Monday, March 14, 2005

Ice Cream and Spirituality

I visited with six wonderful folks tonight over ice cream. When the number dwindled slightly the conversation became a bit more personal and even took a turn toward the spiritual.

I shared a wonderful quote from Walking a Sacred Path by Lauren Artress. She's doing the quoting but doesn't provide the source: "Religion is for those who are scared to death of hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there."

As I scanned the table, I realized every person seated there was on intimate terms with such spirituality. One dear man said he liked the thought and then quickly asked, "What's your definition of spirituality?"

In a burst of what I hope might have been inspiration and with barely a pause I uttered a response I've never used before but wouldn't mind having a chance to explore again, "I think spirituality is the honest pursuit of something bigger than ourselves."

I paused as though I might add to it and then couldn't think of what that might be.

So there . . .

No comments: