Monday, March 21, 2005

Lesson Learned: I Ride a Bike

I ride a bike. I am NOT a cyclist.

Note: Generalization ahead. Stop now if you are easily offended by such.

Cyclists are rude! Cyclists wear multi-colored spandex, lean forward in their own little worlds or swarm like a hive as part of a similarly clad club, speeding by without or with little warning, and do not talk.

I sit high on my seat . . . looking at the world I'm riding by, engaging other riders/walkers/runners in conversation or at least a friendly-yes-you-are-a-fellow-human-smile.

After 20 miles on the city-sponsored Tour de Houston, I am resolved. I will wear a helmet (though until this weekend I didn't own one). I will continue to add distance to my journeys. But I will never become a cyclist.

I ride a bike.

1 comment:

beholdhowfree said...

LOL! yes, you are totally right. And I love the "friendly-yes-you-are-a-fellow-human-smile."