Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Crop This

Been thinking alot about perspective lately. As a result, I've been looking at alot of photographs lately.

I LOVE the crop function!

I can take pounds off a person just by using that little dotted line to reframe the shot. Then moving the mouse to Image/Crop . . . voila! Magic happens at the touch of a button.

I can also force someone to focus. "Forget the grass in the foreground. Ignore all that trash behind the flower. LOOK!! See it, and only it."

But visual doesn't translate into verbal does it? No matter how hard I try, I can't take away your pain. I can't make you see what you cannot see.

I can't fix anyone but me.

Taking on that perspective changes everything. I can move you toward new thinking with questions but I can't make you think a certain way. I can suggest possibilities but I can't make you accept a new path. I can offer options but the choice in the end is yours.

So my definitions are evolving. Evangelism has nothing to do with the end result and everything to do with storytelling. Church has nothing to do with membership and everything to do with community. Friendship has nothing to do with forever and everything to do with now.

At least, that's way I'd crop it.

1 comment:

some chick said...

oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh.... i can't BELIEVE I didn't realize until this morning that we didn't call you up while we were in houston this past weekend!! i feel so bad. We really connected with you while we were there in october and when we were planning all of our weekend jaunts, your name was on the list, but when we actually MADE IT to houston, we didn't call you.

i'm so sorry. you'll just have to come visit us in san francisco. and i'm bummed that we haven't had the time to do any projects we mentioned for UBA. unless you want california images. or the UBA wants to fly me out. : ) we'll probably be in texas for the holidays a bit, and tentatively houston next spring for a wedding. and for when my grandmother dies (whenever that will be, she keeps hoping... she even sat at home through a heart attack).

maybe i can convince my husband to give me a kid free week to go to texas to shoot new material...

much love from our corner of the internet.