Monday, December 06, 2004

Pixosophy

Just saw the film The Incredibles. You gotta love the courage of the film makers given that that's quite a name to live up to. And, technically, it does. Only a few moments into this Pixar production and you forget that these are "animated" characters . . . ok, ok, so when she stretches from one side of a helicopter to the other and when he picks up a building maybe that's a good reminder that it's a cartoon but you know what I mean.

However, I can't say that I really, really liked this movie. In fact, I thought it was too long. Almost as if it was so convinced of its ability to transcend the cartoon world that it took itself too seriously at times and we actually spent waaaay too much time on character development. Truly, did you really ever need to know Popeye had "issues" with Brutus???

I did want to share one line that I found memorable, true, and made me just a tad melancholy. When the father admits that he doesn't want to go to his son's fourth grade "graduation" he says, "He's just moving from the fourth grade to the fifth. I mean really, people are simply finding more and more ways to celebrate mediocrity."

One of the film's themes seems to be that if everyone is special (as we've all been told via Sesame Street) then the only result is that no one is special.

While I didn't leave wanting to become a member of the film's fan club, I will say that it's been a while since an animated figure made me say hmmmmm....

No comments: