Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Life Well-Lived

We looked at the bag. Carolyn was so petite, the contents looked more massive than I assumed it would be. We then looked for a way to spread the ashes. Some clam shells she had collected and spread near the flower garden would do. Soon we were digging in and spreading her ashes on the very flowers she had planted and tended over a year ago.

To be a part of the last memorial for a life well-lived was an honor. Her husband, best friend and I ensured that what remained of her physically would continue to nurture that which she loved.

"Would you mind if I prayed?" I asked my two companions.

"We'd love it," they responded.

I then asked the Creator to help us remember, to laugh, to embrace all that would make Carolyn smile. We hugged and our memorial was complete.

She lived more than 7 decades and after helping hundreds of school kids know what it means to live in good health, she pursued a balance between emotional, spiritual, and physical well-being.

Carolyn was my friend. Carolyn was a do-gooder. Carolyn was a teacher. And now Carolyn's ashes nurture and encourage growth. Seems reasonable to me!

No comments: