Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Travel Shots

According to Karen's rules of travel, the perfect travel photo has to (a) hide all you want it to hide while (b) show all you want it to show (including that you were actually IN the place you said you were going to) and (c) suggest a story in need of telling. Having now shown my photos to a few folks, I've selected the following as my two favorites. The first is from Vietnam. The second is from Cambodia. Comments are open for you to help break the tie.

Vietnam

Cambodia

5 comments:

Finding the Happy said...

Although the Cambodia picture is aesthetically appealing, I am drawn to the many layers of human expression in the Vietnam picture. Were you offering or receiving the bouquet and was this the only means of communication? This photo raises many questions and yet speaks clearly of the power of a simple, humble, human gesture. Brava!

KC said...

Thanks for weighing in on this one . . . and underscoring the value of story. The children greeted me with a single flower. I responded with the closest thing my mouth could get to a Vietnamese "thank you." This butchered response amused them to such a degree that they then brought me more flowers, some weeds and a couple of things I'm sure I wasn't supposed to touch but did! My hands were filled by the time we left the village.

Woman In Love said...

I vote for 'Nam as well.

Laura said...

Totally! - The Vietnam picture. You are most you (and nothing needs hiding) when you are interacting with people.

Anonymous said...

as usual...i stand alone...which is probably why i like the picture of your temple next to a temple...and the reflection of that temple...and the idea of the photograph itself being a reflection...yada yada yada. cambodia